Almost done! How ya doing? Overwhelmed still? If you are be sure to ask your questions in our FB group or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Today we are going to talk about getting your newsletter set up. In convertkit it will be called a Broadcast, in Mailchimp it will be called a Campaign. In MadMimi it will just be composing an email. Whichever platform you chose let’s log in now.
Step one is to find the correct page from the listed options above. (Look for the BOLD lettering.)
- Open up Broadcast and click NEW BROADCAST
- Choose your list you will be sending your newsletter to and click NEXT
- Find your subject line for the newsletter. Make it something fun that will make your reader want to open the email. On the right you’ll see A/B – if you click it you will have the option to create another fun subject line. This is GREAT and is called Split testing. Convertkit will send out your email to a small percentage of your list with the A subject line and some with the B subject line. Whichever opens up the most will win and be sent to the remaining subscribers to ensure maximum opens! You can learn what works and what doesn’t and can be a really great tool to ensure your emails are getting open and read.
- Write your email. Be sure to use personalization whenever you can. For instance, you can say “Hey, Sarah, can you believe it is already JULY!?” Instead of” Can you believe it is already, July!?” This helps your readers feel closer to you and appreciated more. Think about how you feel when someone uses your name. It makes you felt seen and heard, right? So be sure to sprinkle in their custom stuff whenever you can.
- Once you are done-be sure to send a few tester emails to yourself. Read it through and make sure everything looks right. Then hit next.
- To make sure the personalization is working right choose a member of your subscribers list to test the email on. This will not send but in the area where it says, “PREVIEW AS SUBSCRIBER” plug in their name there. This will weed out any bugs you may have with your personalization. NEVER send an email without doing this. Personalization is powerful so if your email gets sent to a subscriber and the personalization is off they feel like it is a mass email and it really takes the specialty out of your words. Do this until it is right!
- Once you are ready…schedule or send your newsletter immediately.
- After a few hours check your stats and see where you can improve. DO NOT get discouraged if your open rate is low. This is totally normal-even for up to a YEAR! Keep delivering amazing content and you will discover what your readers want and what you have to say to have them die to open up your newsletter every month (or whenever you decided to send it)
- Open up Campaign and click NEW CAMPAIGN
- Click EMAIL then on the next page REGULAR then title your campaign name and then click BEGIN
- Now it is time to choose which subscribers will get the email, who it is coming from (you 😉). Find your subject line for the newsletter. Make it something fun that will make your reader want to open the email. Then you click DESIGN EMAIL.
- From there you can choose any drag and drop design you wish! The sky is the limit on these so have fun but don’t get too lost in the design part!
- After you are done adding all of your content remember to test your email. Send it to you are some of your friends for feedback if you wish. Just do not send it until you test it!
- Once you’re polished and ready to go you can schedule your newseltter or send it immediately. Congratulations!
- Click COMPOSE and choose the best option for you. You can start with TRADITIONAL NEWSLETTER for now until you get the feel for what you can really do.
- Find your subject line for the newsletter. Make it something fun that will make your reader want to open the email.
- Drag and drop all of your content (press save!)
- Preview your email and tweak it until you are happy then press continue
- You can add emails individually or include or exclude anyone from your list. Once you’ve chosen who will receive your newsletter click continue
- Make sure your name and email are correct and your subject line is set and then choose whether you wish to send immediately or schedule it (send later).
- Then congratulate yourself on your first email newsletter! 🎉
Tips for newsletters:
- Be consistent. Set a consistent day, or timeframe you wish to get your email out. This is one of the ways we build trust with our followers.
- Batch write & schedule your newsletters. This allows us to write the main part of our content and fill in new stuff like promotions as it gets closer to the send date. This helps you stay consistent and saves you from feeling overwhelmed. It is also great to keep your voice consistent. If you write while you’re in a specific mood your words will all sound genuine and give the reader another way to trust and feel who you are and that is a very, very, very good thing.
- The subject line is where the money is! Step one is getting your newsletter opened so make sure you take your time to think about a good subject line. Your reader will not know the awesome content inside if they do not open your email to begin with.
- Do not get discouraged by your numbers. Learn from them and change where you feel necessary but NEVER EVER EVER STOP SENDING YOUR NEWSLETTER. No matter how bad your numbers look even for the first year keep being consistent and send your newsletter. Keep being you. Keep evolving and striving to get better but DO NOT STOP.
You got this! I’m proud of you for incorporating this into your business. A well maintained growing email list can be so valuable and totally revolutionize your business. It is time for you to go do what you came here to do. Rock that newsletter girl!